Wednesday, August 22, 2012

To Work Or Not To Work

I don't quite understand what people mean when they say that their career "chose them." And yet, it seems that all the happiest individuals invariable utilize this cliche. And this being the case, it's quite worrisome that I haven't felt an intense draw towards one profession or another yet in my life.

I know I want to work with kids. At least, I'm 85% sure that for most of my life I will want to work with kids. But these days there are a trillion different ways to help children. Do I want to work one-on-one or take the command of a group? Do I want to work with normal kids or kids with developmental disorders and disabilities? Which kinds of disorders? Which kinds of disabilities? What age kids? Lord send me a sign because I'm sadly stumped.

I think I might want to be an elementary school teacher. I also think I might want to be a therapist. I also think I need to stop thinking so much. I suppose I can always change careers. Again, and again, and again. I don't know where I'll be two years from now or two years from then. Hopefully Vietnam or Chile. Maybe in New York City with my brother and beautiful niece, maybe not. Maybe I'll be a marine biologist. Only time will tell.

No comments: